Telephone System Upgrades: 14-31 March 2017
During March 2017 essential upgrades to our telephone system will take place. The upgrade is necessary to allow for future developments of our telephony infrastructure.
The upgrade will affect all University telephone lines (7000+ extensions), and will take place over a number of weeks, rather than one full shut down.
Disruption will be minimised as far as possible however there will be local outages (loss of service), impacting different buildings at different times, and we have been liaising with key staff to identify and minimise any resulting risk.
We anticipate that the loss of service for each individual extension will be no more than one hour.
In the majority of cases, the contractor will carry out all of the upgrades after 5.30pm, however for buildings which have significant evening activity, where possible, we shall carry out the upgrade at a mutually convenient time. You can find details of the latest schedule at: http://itservices.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2017/03/10/telephone-upgrade-buildings-and-timings-2/
A few key points to note:
- A very short outage will be arranged out of hours for the University switchboard and will not impact University business;
- A small number of University lifts cannot be used, however the majority can (including all lifts in residences). The lifts which cannot be used will have signage and a physical barrier in place;
- Call forwarding from a University extension to a mobile or voicemail will not work during this time;
- Extensions in Halls of Residence, including student bedrooms, will be affected;
- Intruder or fire alarms do not run on our telephony exchange and will not be affected;
- Access Control will not be affected.
- 999 calls cannot be made from a university telephone line during this time. If the emergency services are required, a call should be made from a mobile telephone.
If you have any questions about the upgrade, please contact the IT Service Desk.