The IT checklist for new students
Activate your account
You’ll receive an email once you’ve been accepted to the University advising you to do this.
Once you activate your account, you’ll be able to log on to MySaint to choose your modules and use University facilities, like the printers.
Check what devices you can connect to the Wi-Fi in Halls
When you arrive at the University, you’ll be able to get online by connecting to eduroam. To get connected, you need to download an eduroam certificate to your device. This means:
- Your device will know which settings to apply to connect to the network;
- We can make sure only students and staff of the University of St Andrews are using it.
What devices to bring with you
On arrival weekend the IT help team will be on hand to help you to connect you:
- iPhones and iPads running IOS 11 and above.
- MacBooks and iMacs running MacOS 10.13 and above.
- PCs running Windows 7, 8 and 10.
- Recent Android mobile phones and tablets.
Blackberries, Windows phones and Chromebooks can connect to eduroam but you might need some help with the settings.
Many online games will work on our network using the wired or wireless networks.
The network is provided for academic and research related purposes during your time at University, so we can’t guarantee all online games will work.
What devices to leave at home
If your device can’t download the certificate, it won’t be able to connect to eduroam.
- wireless printers
- ebook readers (like Kindles)
- smart speakers
- smart TVs
BT Wi-Fi is available but you need to pay for it, unless you’re already a BT customer and it’s included in your plan.
Download Office 365 for free on up to five devices
As a student at the University, your subscription to Office 365 gives you:
Repair your personal devices at the PC Clinic
PC Clinic offers affordable tech repair when you need it. From smashed phone screens to dead laptops, we’ll investigate any of your tech issues and let you know if we can fix it.
How it works
- Explain your tech issues using the book a service form.
- The PC clinic will get in touch with a repair cost.
- Pay online through the Online Shop.
- Pick up your device from the IT Help Point.