An amazing month for IT Security!
Last month, we hosted the IT Security Event and our IT Security Team won Outstanding Cyber Team at the Scottish Cyber Awards 2018.
Outstanding Cyber Team
On Wednesday the 28th November, we were named joint winner (along with Police Scotland) of the award ‘Outstanding Cyber Team’ at the Scottish Cyber Awards 2018 – which took place in the Sheraton Hotel, Edinburgh. The glitzy event recognised and celebrated the huge amount of cyber security talent across Scotland.
Photo shows Sam Foster (IT Security Assistant) and Patrick Green – CESG Certified Professional, Snr Practitioner IT Security Officer with their award.
The IT Security team was only set up in 2016. Sam Foster (former IT Service Desk Apprentice) is part of the team.
IT Security Event
Thanks to everyone that came along to the IT Security Event on Thursday 8 November.
We welcomed a variety of security experts to share their wealth of knowledge, including:
- Representatives from the National Cyber Security Centre
- An ethical hacking graduate from Abertay University, Colin Urquhart
- Nick Blundell from AppCheck, a vulnerability scanning company which helps keep our University systems secure
- Sam Foster from our IT Security Team, giving an overview about IT Security at the University of St Andrews
- Marco Cook from the University of Glasgow, sharing his research in cyber forensics within military platforms
Well done to Kenneth Conroy, a Networking HND student from Dundee and Angus College for winning the iPad mini!There were over 70 entries – congrats!
Over 100 students and staff passed through Parliament Hall for the event. All feedback received was greatly appreciated, a summary is presented below.