Five reasons to repair your tech at PC Clinic
The University opened a PC Clinic in the 1990s. The PC Clinic is an IT Services-led repair shop for staff and students looking to fix their personal devices. If you haven’t used this service already, we’ve compiled five reasons why you should.
1. It’s more sustainable than replacing with a new device
The waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) forum estimated that around 5.3 billion mobile phones became waste in 2022. They stated that if you stacked all disused phones on top of each other, it would rise to 50,000km – this is the same as the Statue of Liberty stacked approximately 537 times!
In Apple’s iPhone 6 report, they stated that 85% of the carbon dioxide emitted throughout the lifecycle of the phone was produced during manufacture. If we can prolong the life of your current devices by replacing the battery or motherboard, for example, we can reduce the number of new devices purchased and reduce our carbon footprint.
2. It’s cheaper to repair than to buy new
Why pay for a new phone when you may only need a new screen or battery? It’s rare for the price of a repair to outweigh the cost of a replacement so reusing technology is a great way to save money.
The staff at our PC Clinic will source the parts needed to repair your device and only charge you for the total cost of these items. As there are no additional fees, you may find the prices are more competitive than other repair shops on the high street.
3. Easily drop off and pick up devices at convenient locations
As the PC Clinic is based within the University, you don’t need to send your device away or travel by public transport to visit the shop.
We pick up devices daily from the IT Help Point in the Main Library and repair them within the IT Services department in Walter Bower House.
Staff and students can drop off and pick up their devices from either location, convenient for those working from the office or studying in town.
4. Receive transparent device you can trust – even when we can’t fix it
When the PC clinic team is presented with a broken device, they will always try to find the best possible solution. If the cost of the repair is too expensive to justify, they may recommend purchasing a refurbished device. In these cases, the PC Clinic can help you transfer the data from your old device to your new one.
5. Benefit from excellent customer service
After we repair your device and return it to you, you’ll be invited to leave feedback using our One Minute Survey. Here is a selection of feedback from previous students and members of staff:
- “Nobody could fix my problem until I handed my laptop into the PC Clinic. Couldn’t thank you guys enough!”
- “Repair was completed very quickly and all communication was very efficient. I was in touch with Kris mostly and he was very helpful”
- “Fixed my laptop over spring break really quickly and cheaper than other places”
- “Incredible, I spilt tea on my MacBook and the guy at the desk was absolutely wonderful”
Fill in the PC Clinic request form to discuss your repair needs with our technicians.