Black Friday deals!
Looking for a Black Friday deal? Are you targeted with unbelievable discount offers and promotions? Or are you targeted for your personal data or money? Protect yourself from scammers using fake websites and phishing emails.
Watch out for:
- Counterfeit webpages mimicking legitimate retailers using slightly altered URLs or poorly designed webpages, bad spelling, punctuation, or grammar.
- Emails with incredible offers with clickable links leading to sites requesting personal information, legitimate businesses rarely ask for sensitive details via email.
- Amazing, extraordinary discounts. Ask yourself, is it too good to be true? If it’s too good to be true it probably is!
What to do:
- Stick to well-known, reputable retailers, official websites to minimise your risk.
- Use Secure Payment Methods – opt for credit cards or trusted payment gateways. These methods often offer buyer protection and are easier to dispute in case of fraudulent activity.
- Ensure the web URL starts with “https://” and look for a padlock symbol in the address bar, indicating a secure website.
- Check for authentic contact information and customer reviews. Genuine businesses invest in professional and secure online platforms.
- Be cautious, legitimate retailers do not typically ask for excessive personal or financial details beyond what’s essential for a transaction.
- Keep an eye on your bank statements and credit reports regularly. Report any suspicious activity or unauthorised transactions immediately.
For more general information on how to stay safe when shopping online, read our earlier blog.